Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Quick Deer Hunting Tip: How to Collect Deer Antler Sheds + Monster Buck Near Gas Station


Many people go out and “hunt” for deer antlers that have been shed. They consider this the best way to determine if a big buck is on you property. They usually go out and wander in the woods, but I have a better way that I learned in a Field and Stream magazine.



How to Make a Shed Antler Trap:

•Find a small tree to the side of a deer trail that is used often.
•Drive two posts about 3-4 feet away from the tree.
•Wrap wire fencing around the tree and connect an end at each post.
•Place acorns, soybeans, salt, corn, or any other food source at the base
of the tree.
•To keep bucks from getting entangled with the wire, make sure the openings in the
wire are at least 30 inches across and the fencing is a little loose.

Big Bucks will be more than ready to take this “free” meal after the long rut. The way it is supposed to work is after the rut the pedicles or base of the antlers loosen. When the go in for the food the buck’s antlers will hit the fencing and fall off. Field and Stream claims no bucks have ever been caught by this.

Also, check out this monster buck Field and Stream had on their website. Its antlers are so wide, I’ve never seen antlers like that. It was photographed in Rawlins, Wyoming.

For more quick hunting tips check out: How to Track Deer in the Snow


For more tips check out: How to Kill Big Bucks

4 comments:

Nick said...

I really think you hit on a good topic with your blog. Ive never hunted, but I live in Michigan so we have a lot of hunters around..


My Blog Record

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristine Nadal said...

My boyfriend is an amateur hunter like my brother. Every two months, they go with my dad to Colorado to hunt elks. I'll show this blog to them for additional source of information on hunting.